You’ve probably heard the hype about collagen supplements and how they are the ultimate beauty secret. While Collagen is widely sought after, very few people understand what it is and what its role in the body is.
So what is Collagen? Think of collagen as the frame of your mattress; it gives [your skin, connective tissue, and muscle] structure and support.
Collagen is a protein and is one of the main building blocks of our skin and It is responsible for skin elasticity. It’s also found in our bones, tendons, and ligaments. It also plays a role in joint and bone health.
Human bodies create collagen naturally. Over time, however, the production of this protein slows down.
As a result, a person’s skin begins to lose some of its ability to bounce back into shape, a process that many call “elasticity.” As this occurs, wrinkles begin to form.
So what are the benefits of Collagen:
- Better skin health- it helps reduce the effects of aging, such as by adding moisture to the skin, reducing wrinkles, and improving elasticity.
- Improved joint health- collagen helps restore or prevents the deterioration of the cartilage in the joints.
- Increased muscle mass
- Prevents bone loss
- Supports heart health
Collagen supplements come in a variety of types. A person should choose the supplement that best supports their goals when picking a collagen type.
The following are the most common types of collagen a person can find in supplements in stores:
- Type 1: This is one of the most abundant types present in the human body and helps support healthy skin.
- Type 2: This is present primarily in cartilage and can help promote joint health.
- Type 3: This type also helps promote skin health by improving elasticity.
- Type 5: This type helps promote the growth of the placenta in pregnant women.
- Type 10: This type also occurs in cartilage and helps promote bone health and development.
How Can You Get More Collagen?
Collagen powders and capsules
Collagen creams and oils
Disclaimer: If you are allergic to eggs or fish, you are at risk for a serious reaction to collagen derived from those foods.
If you are interested in taking collagen supplements you can work with our Portal Pharmacy healthcare team to choose a high-quality supplement from a trusted brand.