What is Dandruff
Dandruff is a skin condition that affects the scalp. It is quite common from puberty onwards. It is characterized by an itchy scalp and small flaky dead skin. Dandruff is commonly caused by seborrheic dermatitis which is a chronic form of eczema affecting the scalp and upper back.
Other conditions that trigger dandruff include Dry skin, harsh skin or hair products, and detergents and conditions like eczema and psoriasis. Fungal Malassezia is also a common trigger for dandruff.
Home remedies for dandruff
Dandruff can be easily controlled at home, and it is recommended you try home remedies before you can seek professional medical advice. Apple cider vinegar. Dilute the vinegar with equal parts of water. Use this mixture as a substitute for your shampoo.
- Apple cider vinegar- It kills the fungus that causes dandruff. ACV provides relief from itchiness and helps subside dandruff and severity of the same.
- Green Tea- Combine green tea with white vinegar, tea tree oil, or peppermint essential oil and use it to massage your scalp for five minutes. This combination has antimicrobial activity and has a calming effect on the scalp.
- Fresh lemon juice- it contains antifungal activity that will destroy the fungus that causes dandruff. Massage this into your scalp and rinse it off after 5 minutes.
- Anti-dandruff shampoos. These come in a wide range and contain a variety of ingredients.
- Coal shampoos like Neutrogena T gel Shampoo
- Ketoconazole like Nizoral Shampoo
- Zinc pyrithione like Keto Plus Shampoo
- Selenium Sulfide Shampoo like Selsun Shampoo
- Salicylic acid shampoo like Neutrogena Tsal Shampoo