Building a skincare routine does not have to be complicated, nor should it break the bank. While there are endless options out there, you want to shoot for products that are bare-bones. Simple, scientifically-proven ingredients that are shown to improve skin are all you need to have a great skincare routine.
To maximize results and minimize potential irritations, choose products that will work best for your skin type.
Knowing your Skin type
- Sensitive skin may sting or burn after product use
- Normal skin is clear and not sensitive
- Dry skin is flaky, itchy, or rough
- Oily skin is shiny and greasy
- Combination skin is dry in some areas and oily in others
Three Reasons Why a Daily Skincare Routine is Important
- Prevention costs less – It costs way less to be proactive than reactive. If you get in the habit of neglecting your skin now, in the future you might be met with having to pay for treatments and creams that cost thousands of shillings. By having a solid daily routine, you can prevent your skin AND your pockets from running dry.
- A moment to yourself – We are constantly running around and trying to juggle so many things in life. Having a daily routine allows you to dedicate time in the day to care for yourself! Self-care comes in so many forms and one of the best ways to use your “me time” is to care for and nourish your skin.
- Beauty does take time – In the same way, we are putting a few thousands every month into our travel funds, mortgage, debt, etc, a daily dose of skincare is like a daily deposit toward your overall health and wellness.
To get started, you need to build a solid foundation of 3 main non-negotiable steps:
Once you lock down your go-to regimen you can then start adding some bonus daily or weekly treatments to amplify your beauty routine.
Start fresh with a clean slate! Cleansing your skin allows you to unclog your pore from the build-up of dirt, makeup, environmental pollutants, and stresses of the day. To properly cleanse your skin and get the most out of your cleanser, many skin experts recommend that you cleanse your skin for about 45-60 seconds. Here are some cleansers we recommend.
Hydration is a major key in keeping your skin smooth, supple, and glowing! Just like how you need to stay hydrated by drinking water throughout the day, your skin needs that same TLC on the outside. Moisturizing will lock in hydration and will help you maintain the integrity of your skin. Check out this affordable moisturizer.
When heading out for the day, it is always important to protect your skin and all the hard work you put into caring for it. Applying sunscreen daily is one of the most important things you can do when it comes to preventing signs of aging, skin cancer, and keeping your skin healthy.
- Bonus Daily and Weekly Treatments
Adding treatments to your skincare routine can bring it to a new level and give your skin that extra dose of TLC! These include toners, serums, and masks.
Consider using dual-function products, such as a moisturizer with sunscreen. Make sure the sunscreen is broad-spectrum and has an SPF of 30 or higher.